Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Printemps á Paris!



Spring has sprung in Paris. In a short time, the trees, parks & gardens throughout Paris went from barren to full bloom. It feels only natural to sit outside, enjoy the fresh air, sweet smell of the flowers & hum the familiar jazz tune "April in Paris". With such beauty surrounding, it’s hard to imagine a thick cloud of volcanic ash above wreaking havoc globally. Despite the apparent chaos of the volcanic disturbance, life in Paris seems to go on as normal.

Much like springtime in New York, the restaurants and bars are opening their sidewalk dining, and the streets and sites seem to be more crowded than usual with tourists & visitors. I know this because not only do I visit the sites, but also I run past them. With the weather warming up, I decided it’s time to stop being on vacation and start running off my weekend pastries, daily cheese fix & whatever else I have indulged that is not in my regular dietary menu. After spending my first two months lavishing in French food, I am faced with the inevitable prospect of retiring my bulky winter clothing and exposing my new curves. So, like any good New Yorker, I am working out, more specifically running.

By all accounts, gyms in Paris are far too expensive and more akin to the upscale Health Clubs a la 1980. But, running around Paris is a great way to see the sights and get to know different areas. While running, I window shop, enjoy the beauty of Paris & people watch. However, I started noticing people giving me the once over with looks of disapproval on their face while I run past them. This did little to faze my runners high. I admit that looking fashionable on my run is not a priority. However, I do wear the traditional workout attire of any American; i.e. black, spandex workout pants, brightly colored running sneakers, tank or over sized t-shirt & a cap. On my first few runs, I saw very few female runners. The female runners I did see would be wearing everything but appropriate attire for running. One girl stomped away in her black converse sneaks, black tights, black mini skirt & black long sleeve blouse. Another woman ran in her flat, ballerina-like shoes, tights, and denim mini-skirt, finishing the outfit with a leather fanny pack. At a lunch date with another American expat, I was told stories of women wearing fishnet stockings, thong body suits or denim cut off shorts and cowboy boots to the gym. (Oh, cringe!) I started realizing why I was the one getting the funny looks. Joe informed me, that this is very “Parisian”. Apparently, Parisians get all dressed up & primped just to go out and grab a quick baguette let alone run through the streets of Paris, and Parisian women do not usually own work out attire.

Per Joe’s suggestion, I have recently started splitting my time running by the sites with running laps in a nearby park. I was relieved to immediately see a number of female runners in normal workout attire, with the occasional “fashionable” jogger. When I’m out for my runs and see these woman in their make shift workout attire, I find I’m actually inspired to run faster with this little voice in my head saying, “I will NOT be lapped by a woman wearing a denim mini & a fanny pack!” For that, I guess I have to thank them. Though my wardrobe is adapting to a more Parisian style with frills & floral now making their way into my fashion choices, I will continue to enjoy my springtime runs through Paris proudly wearing my stylish grey & lime green sneaks, baseball cap & oversized t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment